Tuesday, August 7, 2012

(Perfect) Practice Makes Perfect

I had a lesson this morning that inspired a thought. When I ask new students about their goals, the two most common answers are consistency and distance. It dawned on me today that if you want to become more consistent in striking the ball, you must be more consistent in properly setting it up. 

Therefore, practicing hitting, chipping and put-putting from the same spot without moving your position might not help the skills transfer to the course. If I hit 20 shots from the same spot and don't regrip or take a new stance, I'm training my body to hit ball after ball without a fresh start. 

On the course, I have one chance before moving on, so each shot is a fresh start. To better transfer the practiced skills to the course, I suggest practicing each shot with a fresh set-up, as if you were playing. 

(Perfect) Practice makes perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment